Richard A. Sabuin
Richard A. Sabuin, Ph.D., graduated in 1991 from the Adventist University of Indonesia with B.A. in Theology. He then completed his Master of Ministry degree (2001), and Ph.D. in New Testament (2006) at the Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies (AIIAS), Philippines.
His service in the Seventh Day Adventist Church began in Kalimantan Mission, Indonesia (1992-1998), where he served in various responsibilities including as a local church pastor, a district pastor, and an associate director of the Sabbath School and Personal Ministries. Then for three years he served as an associate editor at the Indonesia Publishing House (1998-2001).
In 2006 he joined the AIIAS Seminary as a professor, before he was appointed as the chair of the Biblical Studies Department (2009), and the Seminary Dean (2011). At the NSD quinquennial session, November 2015, he has been elected as the Education Director and the Sabbath School and Personal Ministries Director of the Division.
Pastor Sabuin and his wife, Paula Moniaga, MPH, have two children: Alef is now serving as an accountant at Japan Union Conference, and Richla is now studying in college, major in English Communication.
The functions of the Biblical Research Committee (BRC) include:
1. Study and prepare materials addressing biblical, doctrinal/theological, and ethical issues of relevance to the church within the division.
2. Evaluate materials of doctrinal and theological content that will be used by the church throughout the division.
3. Prepare responses that will address issues raised from outside and from inside the church which challenge the message and mission of the church.
4. Coordinate activities that will build up Christian fellowship among Adventist theologians and religion teachers in the Division and that will contribute to strengthen their personal commitment to the message and mission of the church.
5. Work closely with Biblical Research Institute (BRI) and Biblical Research Institute Committee (BRICOM) to ensure that in its work the BRC is able to integrate the global vision of the message and mission of the world church.
6. Address issues of faith and science from within the division in conjunction with the Faith and Science Council of the General Conference.